Tuesday, November 9, 2010

11-09-10



Our day began at 6am as We had 70 patients to be seen at the clinic beginning at 7am.
Lupita, Carol and I did an awesome teaching session with the women first...an overview of HPV, breast self-exam and what to expect from ther exam today...
Worked straight through side-by side with our companeros/companeras/trainees and managed to see every woman waiting to be seen.
In fact seven who shared their history of being sexually abused were referred to the on-site psychologist and seen the same day with appointments for follow-up therapy. That made my day. Moving to our second site tomorrow.
I was somewhat surprised and saddened by how many women my age we see who tell me they've had 8 or 9 children...only 3 or 4 living - until I thought, of course, these children would have been in ther 20's in the 1980's when a whole generation of men and women freedom- fighters lost their lives in the war.
A large group went after work to the Cathedral where the fallen martyr, Bishop Oscar Romero is entombed. (been there).
I miss our Dr. Kay but Dr Melissa is doing an amazing job of filling her unfillable shoes.

Cheers,
Mai

No comments:

Post a Comment